This is my attempt at a very generic business card. It needs to work for a lot more things then graphic design and photography services. Just let me know what you think of it? Be brutal!
I love the simplicity of the design and good use of white space. Your logo pops and that's good. The only thing I'd say I'm not crazy about is the font to the right. I can't tell if it's the same as you used for your last name but it reads a bit heavy, slightly serif and tightly kerned compared to, again, your last name. We should do this more often… bounce ideas off each other. Four graphic eyes are better then two! Good work!
If you are going to use drewpelehos.com as your website on here, post some more samples of photography as well. Maybe a separate link...
Also, I appreciate the simplicity of your design, but I think it is a little too minimalistic. It doesn't say graphic designer or photographer to me. I don't know what to tell you to add, but I think it needs something...
Kali thanks for the advice. I've since fixed the kerning problem (at least I think I did.) and have reposted it. I do like it better, but am laughing because I thought I was making it better by kerning in the first place. Oops! Thoughts on it now?
I have to agree with one of the earlier comments; it seems a little TOO minimalist. The white space specifically doesn't really seem to add to the pizzaz.
What about this? You're doing design, so why not have a card that is actually shaped differently; chop some of the white space off the top and bottom and have a thinner card.
As someone with absolutely no design training, who can hardly dress himself in matching clothes in the morning, there's my infinitely valuable opinion.
I really like the design, but I agree there is too much white space...maybe if you print them on a different color card like a light gray or something so it's not just plain white.
Another idea would be to maybe add a very generic, simple design/graphic along the top and bottom to help fill up the space.
I also know several people who have the smaller, slim business cards that MJ mentioned so that idea may work for you too.
I think it looks great. I'm still not crazy about the font but that's your call. I like the serif font you used under your Contact link on your website right above your name. I like the white space. Simple is better. Plus, it coordinates with your website wonderfully. You could drive everyone nuts and move your logo up, throw in another line but off-center them vertically (like your horizontal lines are on your website) and then lower the right side. It'd fill up more space but us linear folks would go nuts. If you wanted to be less minimilistic, you could mimic the good visual movement you have with the R and W and do similar lines behind them but scaled up in size and back in color? I think a different shaped card is cool too, but will be a little more expensive to produce.
I would just like to start off by saying you might not want my opinion, based on the fact that I firt critiqued something absolutely irrelevant....but I will give it anyways. I think that this looks just like you...the only 2 downsides I see for myself as that it is #1 By looking at this card I don't know your style of graphic design or photography so maybe I would choose someone else over you just because I would have to "dig" more into you to figure that out #2 I personally think that your card is forgetable, ouch...sorry, I just don't say, "wow that is a cool business card", Instead it's more "Oh that's nice."
Drew, for whatever it's worth--I think it's great. Of course it has to be red (cause that's your favorite color) and it's clean and simple. The only recommendation I would have is print them red and have your name in white. I think that would be cool.
just a thought :) (but who am I? I never would've passed that class without your expertise!!) hah
11 comments:
I love the simplicity of the design and good use of white space. Your logo pops and that's good. The only thing I'd say I'm not crazy about is the font to the right. I can't tell if it's the same as you used for your last name but it reads a bit heavy, slightly serif and tightly kerned compared to, again, your last name. We should do this more often… bounce ideas off each other. Four graphic eyes are better then two! Good work!
I love, LOVE, LOOOOOVE it! I think it looks very classy and chic!
If you are going to use drewpelehos.com as your website on here, post some more samples of photography as well. Maybe a separate link...
Also, I appreciate the simplicity of your design, but I think it is a little too minimalistic. It doesn't say graphic designer or photographer to me. I don't know what to tell you to add, but I think it needs something...
Kali thanks for the advice. I've since fixed the kerning problem (at least I think I did.) and have reposted it. I do like it better, but am laughing because I thought I was making it better by kerning in the first place. Oops! Thoughts on it now?
nice layout, but the red typeface reminded me instantly of an oil and gas company. as yourself why?
I have to agree with one of the earlier comments; it seems a little TOO minimalist. The white space specifically doesn't really seem to add to the pizzaz.
What about this? You're doing design, so why not have a card that is actually shaped differently; chop some of the white space off the top and bottom and have a thinner card.
As someone with absolutely no design training, who can hardly dress himself in matching clothes in the morning, there's my infinitely valuable opinion.
I really like the design, but I agree there is too much white space...maybe if you print them on a different color card like a light gray or something so it's not just plain white.
Another idea would be to maybe add a very generic, simple design/graphic along the top and bottom to help fill up the space.
I also know several people who have the smaller, slim business cards that MJ mentioned so that idea may work for you too.
Overall, I really like the design. Good work!
I think it looks great. I'm still not crazy about the font but that's your call. I like the serif font you used under your Contact link on your website right above your name. I like the white space. Simple is better. Plus, it coordinates with your website wonderfully. You could drive everyone nuts and move your logo up, throw in another line but off-center them vertically (like your horizontal lines are on your website) and then lower the right side. It'd fill up more space but us linear folks would go nuts. If you wanted to be less minimilistic, you could mimic the good visual movement you have with the R and W and do similar lines behind them but scaled up in size and back in color? I think a different shaped card is cool too, but will be a little more expensive to produce.
It might help to checkout of my website to see my style. www.drewpelehos.com
I would just like to start off by saying you might not want my opinion, based on the fact that I firt critiqued something absolutely irrelevant....but I will give it anyways. I think that this looks just like you...the only 2 downsides I see for myself as that it is #1 By looking at this card I don't know your style of graphic design or photography so maybe I would choose someone else over you just because I would have to "dig" more into you to figure that out #2 I personally think that your card is forgetable, ouch...sorry, I just don't say, "wow that is a cool business card", Instead it's more "Oh that's nice."
Drew, for whatever it's worth--I think it's great. Of course it has to be red (cause that's your favorite color) and it's clean and simple. The only recommendation I would have is print them red and have your name in white. I think that would be cool.
just a thought :) (but who am I? I never would've passed that class without your expertise!!) hah
Post a Comment